Thursday, December 03, 2015

Jesus’ promises “To the one who conquers”.


Jesus’ promises “To the one who conquers” from Revelation Chapters 2,3 -

"I will grant him to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God."

"He will not be hurt by the second death."

"I will give him some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it."

"To he who keeps my works until the end, to him I will give authority over the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received authority from my Father.  And I will give him the morning star."

"He will be clothed in white garments, and I will never blot his name out of the book of life. I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels."

"I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God. Never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name."

"I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne."

Those who keep God’s works to the end, who have been united to Christ by faith and who die in Him are the ones who conquer.  In this life we are conquering, in death the full victory is suddenly realized.  (see Romans 8:37-39)


The word conquer can also be translated ‘overcome’ as in Jesus words -
 
Be of good cheer, I have conquered the world”
 
And as in 1 John 5:4-5 -
 
“For everyone who has been born of God conquers the world. And this is the victory that has conquered the world—our faith.  Who is it that conquers the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?

 
“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more.  And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

And he who was seated on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” Also he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”  And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment.
 
The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son.”



We may look at death in deep sadness– those feelings are right, because ‘it was not so from the beginning’.  Death often comes in tragedy - we lose a friend, we lose a Kingdom warrior, we lose a loved one, and we do not understand God's purposes in the loss. 

We lose, but through Christ they have gained the victory.  It is not their loss, but their promotion - from daily battles in this weary world to a seat with Christ on his throne, ruling and reigning with Him until he comes.

Hats off to the ones who have conquered, may we, by faith, keep God's works until the end and follow in their footsteps.

1 comment:

Susan Preston said...

Amen!
A very encouraging and thoughtful post.
Thank you, now back to work. Only stopped because I needed to find like minded folks!
Susan